Monday 18 April 2011

Meet me where I am - reaching disengaged students

DIGITAL STORYTELLING - this is probably the one area of technology I love, and importantly don't fear. I think it is because for me it most resembles the traditional literacy and storytelling tools. But is also shows me what Mark has been trying to teach us with this unit - the teaching is the same, its just the tools are different. Digital storytelling is still sentence structure, characters, conflict, mood, but we need to meet the students where they are, and that is in digital formats.  This student shows me why -

This is where students are today - technology is woven into them. And if the classroom does not embrace their world, we lose them, we can't reach them, then what can we really teach them if they are disengaged from our classroom. If we, as teachers, can just venture into their world, see what interests them, then use it as a tool to engage them, then we win in a way. It is the simple constructivist approach, taking the lead from the students. Finding out where they are, meet them there, and once you have them you can lead them to other areas that previously may have not been appealing to them. 

As primary school teachers literacy is one of our major concerns and this technology opens up so many exciting formats that should engage students that would otherwise slowly drift away from the arts and humanities. Without making a sweeping generalisation I think this technology can help to keep boys engaged in literacy lessons. My fellow blogger  http://techsavvyteach.blogspot.com/
in her post "boys and blogs" refers to a great article saying how blogs have been used to spark boys interest in English lessons. Its a great article. My experience at an all boys school, with 10 year boys, English and literacy (especially the tedious nature of grammar and spelling) , was always met with groans - they really couldn't care less, and I don't blame them because the content really was a long way from their world. I just think how engaging literacy lesson could be by venturing into this digital world where these boys are most of their free hours. Bring the lessons to them in their world. The lesson really are the same (grammar, spelling, sentence structure) but it is in a world they find interesting.  I don't think it is quite tricking them into learning the same content, more New STAGE, same PLAY.








4 comments:

  1. That's a great video giving a student perspective on digital storytelling - I've embedded it in the Digital Storytelling page of the E-language wiki at http://e-language.wikispaces.com/digital-storytelling, with a credit to you at the end of the page :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennie,

    I agree with you regarding digital storytelling. I posted something similar to you on my blog. We still need to use traditional structure when teaching literacy, however the students of today are different to when you and I were children.

    As teachers we need to use the tools for today and teach for today and then the children will feel engaged. If you read my blog I have made a comment where my 11 yr old grandaughter was excited when she saw the Voki and I asked her to help me with it. She would like her teacher to use tools like that to make it less boring,however her teacher does nothing with digital tools and the kids are bored and reckon she should retire because she is old fashioned!

    Now if you use the tools Mark is showing us in your class the kids will love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great video Jennie!

    Mark recommended that I read your blog on Digital Storytelling and I'm glad I did :) Interesting point you made about how digital storytelling follows the same format of traditional literacy but only the tools have changed.

    I agree that in order to be effective teachers, we need to embrace change and use technology which appeals to our students. As you said, as teachers, we need to "bring the lessons to them in their own world."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just hope that after completing this insightful module, I'll be able to keep up to date on the latest tools.

    ReplyDelete