Saturday 21 May 2011

Remember what a book felt like?

 Here's one for all those lovers of the traditional yet beautiful experience of holding a book, turning the pages, feeling that world you hold in your hands and mind. This episode of the ABC's tuesday book club (aired on 17 may 2011) may sink you . It is 25 min long, but it is a topic you are interested in, it is well worth a view.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/program/767124

It is a debate between three very different views on the changing world of books and ebooks. Here's a summary for those time poor souls.
Some interesting points included,
- we actually read in a different way, digitally and traditionally. Digitally we skim, and so do not have as much of the sense of escapism and imagination provided by traditionally method.
- arguement is that our brains are adapting to the new digital environment, and our attention is in a constant state of division (reading on line, updating, accepting multiple streams of info at once) but while multitasking is good, the lack of depth of our thinking is the cost. And it is the depth of thinking that has brought us much beauty and discovery in the world ( think art, great literature, science).
- not only will the books disappear, but writers (quality writers) will.  If ebooks, that are so cheap, replace the book, there is no money, no living for writers, literature, the arts, - yes everyone has the opportunity to publish their own work - this is more 'publishing', but is it better product.  Is this what we want to read?
- collaborative books/authors is the future where everyone gets to contribute, update and change any publication - is this going to bring quality literature (I think not)!
- the future of book shops is discussed of course, but it goes beyond just that and the debate is much greater, it really is the whole literacy, publishing industry - and that will affect the quality of what we are able to read in the future.

For me it would break my heart if I could no longer visit my local bookshop, grab a coffee and take half an hour from the pace of life to touch, browse, feel and experience books.

1 comment:

  1. Have to agree with you Jen. I just love the whole bookshop experience. I also have to agree with reading in different ways i.e. digitally we skim. With so many things competing for your attention, and that's just from a single page online (I'm actually finding your fish quite distracting as I clarify my thoughts), I know I often just skim. In fact, I find that if I want to read anything and seriously pay attention to it, and it is online, I end up printing it out to read. We will never be a paperless society and that's a good thing (well, maybe not for the trees but definitely for my ability to retain anything I read).

    ReplyDelete